The church was erected in 1848-9, and consecrated on the 11th September 1850. It was a mission church of St Cuthbert's until it became a parish in its own right in 1870. It had St. Andrew's Mission church on Victoria Street, constructed of a wooden frame with corrugated iron cladding, but this was demolished in the 1970s.
Take a look at the 150th anniversary booklet for a detailed description of the history of the church.
St. John's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1870 from that of St. Cuthbert. The church, on the East beach, consecrated on 11th September 1850 is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, south transepts, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing 6 bells : the principal windows are stained : there are sittings for 800 persons, of which 173 are free. The registers date from the year 1850. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £280, in the gift of J.T. Clifton esq. and held since 1870 by the Rev. Thomas Gregory Smart M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.
from Kelly's Lancashire Directory, 1895
It has been for many years the Lifeboat men’s church. The vicar of St John’s is Chaplain to the crew.
If you have additional information or pictures that may usefully added to this page then please get in touch with us.