The original building was on Clifton Street opposite Bath Street.
This building was designed by Manchester architect Henry Littler, who also designed the old St Annes College and parts of Rossall School. Building began in late 1900, the total cost was over £7,000. The opening ceremony took place in August 1902, and the first chairman of the bench was Thomas Fair, the Clifton Estate agent
Number One Courtroom has some of the finest court fixtures in Lancashire, including the magistrates bench with retiring room, and a central prisoner's dock with stairs leading down to the cells below. The gas-light fittings survive and have been converted to electricity. The Court has a beautifully plastered Gothic ceiling with two large leaded light windows with a central red rose of Lancaster. The window in the north wall bears the Lancashire coat of arms."
The court was closed at the end of 1998 and in 2010 the building was put up for sale.
If you have additional information or pictures that may usefully added to this page then please get in touch with us.