Lowther Gardens

Lowther Gardens & Terraces

Lowther Gardens & Terraces

Lowther Pavilion Oct 1981

Lowther Pavilion

Lowther pond 1968

Lowther pond 1968

The gardens were laid out by Squire J Talbot Clifton in 1873 and named after his wife, Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton of the Lowther family. It was set out on poor grazing land once known as “Hungry Moor”. The Gardens were given to the town in 1905 and the local authority added the Lowther Pavilion in 1921.

Image
Lowther 1891 map
1891
Image
Lowther Gardens & Terraces
1872
Image
Lowther gardens
Image
Lowther pond 1903
1903
Image
Lowther pond 1968
1968
Image
Lowther pond
1973
Image
Lowther Pavilion
Oct 1981
Image
Lowther pavilion
Oct 1981
Image
"Songs of Praise" at Lowther
Jul 1984
Image
"Songs of Praise" at Lowther
Jul 1984
Image
"Songs of Praise" at Lowther
Jul 1984
Image
Lowther entrance with trams
Image
Lowther entrance with tram