LYTHAM, anciently called "Ledin" and “Lethum” is a watering place and parish, 14 miles west from Preston by rail, 8 north from Southport, across the Ribble, 5 1/2 south-west from Kirkham and 8 south-by-east from Blackpool by road, in the Blackpool division of the county, Fylde district, hundred of Amounderness, Fylde union, Kirkham petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Fylde, archdeaconry of Lancaster and diocese of Manchester. The town is on the northern shore of the estuary of the Ribble, and is a great place of resort during the spring and summer months, besides having an exceptionally mild climate during the winter. The Preston and Wyre Railway Company opened a branch to this place from Kirkham in 1846, and a line to Blackpool in continuation in 1863. The Board of Improvement Commissioners constituted under the Local Act of 1847 has been superseded by an Urban District Council, under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894."
The place is well lighted with gas by the Urban Council, and supplied with excellent water and the sanitary arrangements are highly satisfactory. The pier, 900 feet long, the property of the Lytham Pier and Pavilion Co. (1895) Limited, was entirely rebuilt in 1891, and a pavilion for concerts &c. erected at a cost of £13,000; in addition to the facilities it affords to steam boats from Southport and Blackpool, it also forms a promenade. The beach has been levelled and a beautiful turfed walk 2 miles in length and 60 feet wide formed, from which a fine view of the scenery on the opposite side of the estuary is obtained; this walk is being extended in a westerly direction and a marine drive has been made through St. Anne's in the direction of Blackpool. Numerous shelters and seats are provided on the Promenade, and the sands are firm and safe for children, and high-class entertainments are given on the beach during the season: Electric trams run along the coast for about 14 miles.
The parish church of St. Cuthbert, entirely rebuilt in 1834, on the site of the old church, is a building of red brick in the late Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower at the west end containing 8 bells: an organ was erected in 1881 at a cost of £700, and has twice been enlarged at a cost of £1,000: the reredos of oak, beautifully carved, is a memorial to Lydin Constance Hawkins, late wife of the present vicar: the north and south chancel windows were given by Thomas Clifton and his wife, Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton, and one in the north aisle by Mrs, Anne Wilson in 1878; and there are several others. There is a brass erected by the parishioners to Richard Barton Robinson, late vicar, d. 1875, and another to Edward and Sarah Jane Houghton: the church was restored and re-seated with open oak benches in 1887 at a cost of £2.109, and in 1904 was enlarged at a further cost of about £700, and now affords 1,020 sittings, of which 300 are free. The register dates from 1660 and is in good condition: the parish records contain an entry of a collection made for the rebuilding of St. Paul’s Cathedral, which realised £1 5s. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £354, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1870 by the Rey. Henry Beauchamp Hawkins M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, hon. canon of Manchester.
St. John's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1850 from that of St. Cuthbert. The church, on the East beach, consecrated on 11th September, 1850, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, transepts, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire containing 6 bells: the principal windows are stained; the church was enlarged in 1857 at a cost of £2,423, and affords 800 sittings, of which 266 are free. The registers date from the year 1850. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £272, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of J. T. Ciifton esq. and held since 1897 by the Rev, John Gilbertson-Pritchard B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.
The Catholic church, in Clifton street, dedicated to St. Peter, erected in 1840 at a cost of £5,000, is a brick building, with embattled western tower, added in 1881, at a cost of £1.00, by the late Col. Clifton: the interior was restored in 1888 at a cost of £1,000.
There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Park street, erected in 1863.
The Congregational chapel, Bannister street, erected in 1863, has 490 sittings.
At the east end of the town there are shipbuilding works. On the East beach is a life boat house and a windmill, an object of much interest, The market-house was erected in 1848, but the market is now discontinued. A drinking fountain was erected in the Market square, in 1882, by Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton, in memory of her late husband, John Talbot Clifton esq. (d. 1882).
The public baths, on Central beach, provide swimming and sea water baths of all kinds, and include Assembly Rooms, holding 400 persons, and used for concerts.
Lytham Yacht Club is on the Central beach. There are four branch banks, The Lytham Cottage Hospital, on East beach, erected at the cost of the late J. Talbot Clifton esq. and the
Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton, was opened in August, 1871, and contains 25 beds; it is maintained by public subscription, patients being received on payment of a weekly sum, the amount of which is dependent on their circumstances: the hospital is managed by a committee of eighteen gentlemen,
The Lytham Institute, in Clifton street, opened in 1872, is a brick building erected by public subscriptions on a site given by the late J, Talbot Clifton esq. and designed as a means of amusement and social intercourse for all classes; it comprises a library of about 4.000 volumes, reading, lecture and billiard rooms, and rooms for a house steward &c.
The Lowther Gardens, presented to the town in 1872 by the late J. Talbot Clifton esq. for the use of the residents and visitors, are at the west end of the town, and are maintained by the Urban Council; in these gardens are public tennis courts.
John Talbot Clifton esq. the representative of the ancient family of that name, is lord of the manor and owner of the entire parish, and resides at Lytham Hall, a spacious mansion on the north-west side of the town, in a park of 616 acres. The area of the civil parish and Urban District is 2,453 acres of land, 11 of water, 300 of tidal water and 773 of foreshore; rateable value, £75,370; the population in 1911 was 9,463,
The population of the Urban District wards in 1911 was:—
North-East, 2,569; North-West, 1,455: South-East, 1,259; South-West, 4,180.
The population of the ecclesiastical parishes in 1901 was:—
St. Cuthbert’s, 3,171: St. John the Divine. 4.014.
SALTCOATS is a hamlet 1.5 miles from Lytham; the Catholic cemetery is situate here.
Parish Clerks, Arth.Crane, St. Cuthbert’s ; Jsph. Wolfe,St. John’s.
FAIRHAVEN, a new sea-side resort, is situate midway between Lytham and St. Anne's-on-the-Sea, with a south-west aspect, and standing on a natural elevated position from eight to ten feet higher than the neighbouring district: a marine drive, lake and promenade have been constructed. Ansdell is the nearest railway station for Fairhaven,
St. Paul's church, situated in Clifton drive, Fairhaven, and three minutes’ walk from Ansdell station, is a chapel of ease to Lytham parish church: the foundation stone was laid by H. W. Worsley-Taylor esq. M.P. January 25, 1902, and the church was consecrated by the Bishop of Manchester, February 29, 1904: the church at present consists only of clerestoried nave, chancel, side chapel, vestries, organ chamber and a tower, and is of brick with stone dressings in the Late Perpendicular style: there is a stone reredos and an oval-shaped font with pyramidal traceried cover: the church will seat 480 persons, The Rev. Bruno Geoffrey Clauss, of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, has been curate in charge since 1904. There is a Mission church in connection with St. Paul's at COMMONSIDE, with sittings for 150 persons, of which the Rev. Samuel Arthur Leathley M.A. of St. John’s College, Oxford, and LL.B. Manchester University, has been curate in charge since 1911.
The Catholic church, in Woodlands road, Ansdell, was erected in 1909-12 at a cost of about £15,000, as a memorial to the Right Rev. Monsignor James Canon Taylor and his brother, the Rev. Roger Taylor; it is a stone building in the Gothic style, and has a tower containing 8 bells: there are about 400 sittings. The presbytery adjoining is connected by a passage.
The Congregational chapel, in Clifton drive, was erected in 1912 at a cost of about £7,500, and has about 450 sittings: the Baptist chapel, in Ansdell road, was rebuilt in 1908, and has 450 sittings.
There is also a chapel for Strict Baptists. at Pollux gate, and a Unitarian chapel.
An Institute and Public Hall was erected in Woodlands road, ANSDELL in 1909 at a cost of about £5,000; it contains a hall to seat 450 persons, a library with 700 volumes. a reading room, two billiard rooms and an artists’ room.
OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.
Post, M, O. & T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office, Clifton street.—J. W. Mayes, postmaster, Letters from all parts & Fisher M.A., M.B., B.Ch. & deliveries at 6.45 & 11.15 am. & 2 & 5.15 p.m.: sundays 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45. 10 & 11.15 a.m. & 12.45, 2, 4, 6.45, 8 & 9.45 p.m.: on sundays at 7 p.m. Telegraph office open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (S a.m. to 9 p-m. from June 1st to Sept. 30th): sundays, 8.30 to 10 a.m. Sale of stamps, registration of letters &c. 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.; sundays, 8.30 to 10 a.m, Money order & savings bank from 8 a.m. to 8 pm
Town Sub-Post & M. O. Offices.
Church road.—Harry Sallows, sub-postmaster. Box cleared 5.30 (mondays only), 9.30 & 10.45 a.m. & 1.15, 4.30, 7.30, 9.15 & 11.30 p.m.: sundays, 6.30 p.m
!Ansdell.—George William Trickett, sub-postmaster. Box cleared 5 (mondays only), 9 & 10.15 a.m, & 12.45, 4, 7, 8.45 & 11 p.m.; sundays, 6 p.m
Pollux Gate.—E. Burton, sub-postmaster. Box cleared 5.15 (mondays only), 9.15 & 10.30 a.m. & 1, 4.15, 6.45, 9 & 11.15 p.m.; sundays, 6 p.m
Warton street.—Walter Embley. sub-postmaster. Box cleared 5.30 (mondays only), 9.30 & 11,45 am. & 1.15, 4.30, 7.30 & 5.30 p.m. & 12 midnight; sundays, 6.15 p.m
Marked thus ! telegrams are dispatched but not delivered.
Town Sub-Post Office, Cambridge road.—Miss Elizabeth Hothersall, sub-postmistress, Box cleared 5.30 (mondays only), 9.30 & 10.45 am. & 1.15, 4.30, 7.15, 9.15 & 11.30 p.m.; sundays 6.15 p.m
A court is held here under the Summary Jurisdiction Act every third week, & also daily if required
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Office, Dicconson terrace.
Meeting day, 1st thursday in each month at 6.30 p.m.
Chairman, John Ainscongh.
Vice-Chairman, Humphrey Norris Whittle C.C.
William F, Holden J.P. ……………………. 1913
James Joseph Beesley .…………………... 1913
John Ainscough ..………………………..... 1914
Thomas Vipond Barker…………………... 1914
Joseph Stother......………………………..... 1915
John Pearson …………………………...... 1915
Joseph Cockshutt ...……………………….. 1913
Stanley Arthur Royle…………………...... 1913
Humphrey N. Whittle …………………...... 1914
James Chadwick........,………………….... 1914
John Edward Myerscough………………… 1915
Edward R. Lightwood ………………….... 1915
Clerk, Charles Arthur Myers, Council offices, Dicconson Terrace
Law Clerk, John Forshaw, 9 Cannon street, Preston
Treasurer, William Henderson, London City & Midland Bank, Clifton square
Medical Officer of Health, John Cecil Fisher M.A., M.B., B.Ch. Oxon. 27 Cecil street
Surveyor, Arthur James Price C.F. 14 Park road
Accountant, Evan Holding, 32 Westby street
Sanitary Inspector, Harold Yates Assoc.San.Inst. 5 Cleveland rd
Collector, Ernest Redhead, 81 Westby street
Gas Manager, Arthur Halliwell, 39 Cleveland road
Ansdell Institute & Public Hall, Woodlands road, Ansdell, J.T. Turner, hon. sec
Board of Trade (Unemployment Insurance) Local Office, Midland Bank chambers, Clifton square, John Thomas Rigby, local agent
Catholic Cemetery, Saltcoats, James Etherington, keeper
Cottage Hospital & Convalescent Home, East beach, John Cecil Fisher M.A., M.B., B.Ch. hon. medical supt. & sec.:; Miss Amy Kaye, matron
County Constabulary Office, Bannister street, Inspector Charles Lamb, 2 sergeants & 8 constables
Fire Station, Market square, Edward Tipping, captain
Hippodrome & Picture Palace, Henry street, George Kingston, lessee & manager
Life Boat Institution, Station, East beach, Charles A. Myers, hon. Sec.; William G. Parkinson, coxswain
Lytham Pier & Pavilion Co. (1895) Ltd. Central beach, James Henry Harrison, secretary & manager
Lytham Yacht Club, Central beach, G, W. Wood, hon. sec
Picture Palace, Central beach, Edward Mooney, manager
Public Baths & Assembly Rooms, Central beach, John William Aspden, manager
Shipwrecked Fishermen & Mariners’ Royal Benevolent Society, W. Henderson, London City & Midland Bank Limited & Miss H. Parsons, Normanhurst. hon. representatives
4th Battalion Loyal North Lancashire Regiment (E Co.); headquarters, 22 Church road. Capt. H. Nickson, commanding; Color-Sergt. Benjamin Miller; Drill instructor
Admiralty Surgeon & Agent & Certifying Factory Surgeon, John Cecil Fisher M.A.. M.B., B.Ch.Oxon, 27 Cecil street
Assistant Overseer. Evan Holding. Council offices, Dicconson ter
Income Tax Collector, John Thomas Rigby, Midland Bank chambers. Clifton square
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Lytham District. Fylde Union, Alexander Moulsdale Eason L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. 12 Park street
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Lytham Sub-District, Fylde Union, Robert Waring, 17 Church road
Vaccination Officer, Lytham District, Fylde Union, Richard Parker, 92 Cleveland road
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services.
St. Cuthbert’s Church, Church road, Rev. Canon Henry Beauchamp Hawkins M.A. vicar; Rev. Arthur Frank Smith & Rev. B. Geoffrey Clauss B.A. curates; 8 & 10.45 am. & 3 & 6.30 pm.; daily, 12 noon & 6.30 p.m
St. John's Church, East beach, Rev. John Gilbertson-Pritchard B.A. vicar; Rev. Percy Reed Grove B.D. curate; 8 & 10-45 am. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 9 a.m
St. Paul’s Church, Fairhaven, Rev. Bruno Geoffrey Clauss curate in charge; 8 & 10.45 am. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. in Advent & Lent, 7.45 p.m
St, Paul's Mission Church, Commonside, Rev. Samuel Arthur Leathley M.A., LL.B. curate in charge; 6.50 p.m.; 2nd sunday in month, 11 a.m
St. Peter's (Catholic), Clifton street, Very Rev John O'Reilly V.F. & Rev. George Greaves, priests: 8 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m.; wed. 7.15 p.m
Catholic, Woodlands road, Ansdell, Rev. Robert Formby, priest 8 & 10.30 am. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m; : weds 7.30 p.m
Baptist Chapel, Ansdell road, Ansdell, Rev. Morton Gledhill; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m
Baptist (Strict), Pollux gate, Fairhaven; 10.50 am. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m
Congregational, Bannister street, Rev. Frederick James Layton A.T.S.; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.: wed. 8.15 p.m
Congregational, Clifton drive. Fairhaven. Rev. William Robinson: 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.: wed. 8 p.m
Wesleyan Methodist, Park street: 10.50 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; mon. & thurs. at 7,30 p.m
Wesleyan Methodist, Clifton drive, Fairhaven; 10.30 a.m. & 6.50 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m
Wesleyan Methodist Mission Hall, Albert street; 6.30 p.m
Rev. Fredk. W. Parkinson (supt.).;
Rev. George Hack. Rev. James H. Hodson B.D. & Rev, Henry Walmsley. supernumeraries
Unitarian. Clifton drive. Fairhaven
Free Endowed, Church road (boys, girls & infants); the endowments, besides land at Blackpool, include £5 left by the Rev. James Horsfall in 1702; £3 3s. by William Elton; £10 by John Sheppard; £60 by John Harrison in 1728; £335 by William Gaulter in 1745; the interest of £10, for books, by Thomas Cookson in 1776; & £60 by Elizabeth Leyland in 1734; these endowments, invested in Blackpool property, have acquired a very great value & have in consequence been taken over by the Charity Commissioners. The school was built in 1853 & enlarged in 1901, & will hold 310 children: average attendance, 250; Henry Hoyle, master; Miss Esther Corner, girls’ & infants’ mistress
School Attendance Officer, Charles Cookson, 13 Church road
County Council (infants), Central drive, Ansdell, built 1907, for 210 children; average attendance, 90; Miss Annie Irvin, mistress
Public Elementary (mixed), Warton street, built in 1851, for 320 children, & enlarged 1899 & 1912, for 372; average attendance, 375; James A. Collinson, master; Miss Gertrude Longshaw, mistress
Public Elementary (Catholic), Clifton street, enlarged in 1902, for 290 children: average attendance, 183; conducted by the Sisters of the Most Holy Cross & Passion
Lytham Times, Lytham Printing Co. Limited, publishers & proprietors; published on friday
Lytham & St. Anne’s Standard, Lytham & St. Anne's Standard Newspaper Co. Limited, publishers & proprietors; published on friday
Lancashire & Yorkshire & London & North Western Railway Cos. (joint), Station square, Walter Cartman, station master; goods station, Station road, Richard Berry, agent
Ansdell (for Fairhaven), George Henry Waddington, station master & goods agent
Water Conveyance.—Occasional steamers to Preston, St. Anne’s, Southport, Blackpool &c. from the Pier head
Carriers.—To Preston, Peter & John Eccles, mon. wed. fri. & sat. & James Walton, mon. wed. & fri.; to St. Anne’s & Blackpool, Peter & John Eccles & James Walton, tues. thurs. & sat