ST. ANNE'S (anciently Kelgmoles or Kilgrimol), pleasantly seated on the outer edge of that fertile plain called " the Fylde of Lancashire," is a modern watering place, formed about 1873, and under the provisions of the " Local Government Act, 1894," has been constituted a civil parish; it has a station on the London and North Western and the Lancashire and Yorkshire joint railway, 17 miles west from Preston by rail, 10 north from Southport, across the estuary of the Ribble, 4 from Blackpool and 3 west from Lytham, in the Blackpool division of the county, hundred of Amounderness, Fylde union, Kirkham petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Fylde, archdeaconry of Lancaster and diocese of Manchester. The place is governed by an Urban District Council under the Act of 1894, and comprises parts of Marton and Lytham townships.
St. Anne's has a bracing atmosphere and generally equable temperature, the extensive sands affording safe bathing, protected by the “ Salters bank." The town is lighted by electricity from works in St. David's road north, belonging to the Urban District Council, and gas is supplied by a private company. The water supply is derived from the Grizedale reservoirs of the Fylde Water Board. The Blackpool, St. Anne's and Lytham Tramways Company run an extensive service of electric cars through the district. The sea wall and promenade, one mile in length, is laid out with ornamental gardens, tennis lawns and rockeries; there is a band-stand, occupied several times weekly by a local band, and on the Esplanade also stands a fine statue of a lifeboat coxswain, erected as a memorial to the Lifeboat crew who perished in attempting the rescue of the crew of the barque " Mexico,” in December, 1888.
The iron pier, 400 yards in length, was constructed in 1884 by the St. Annes Land and Building Co. Limited, and in 1904 considerably enlarged and a new pavilion erected and together with jetty, landing stage, pavilion and shops cost £50,000. At the entrance is an elegant building in the English half-timbered style, containing the various offices, and in the pavilion variety entertainments are given daily. A floral hall was erected at the pier head in 1910, at a cost of about £1,900.
The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1877, The church of St. Anne, erected in 1873, at a cost of £41,000, and enlarged in 1886 at a cost of £2,500, is a brick building with stone facings in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave, under a single roof, small transepts, aisles, vestry, south porch and an embattled western tower and pinnacles, added in 1890 at cost of £1,700. and containing 8 bells, presented by Lady Eleanor Cecily Clifton, at a cost of £600: the reredos and stained east window are memorials to T. H. Clifton esq. formerly M.P. for Lancashire: there are 600 sittings. In the churchyard is a tall cross of Celtic design, erected over the grave of the lifeboat crew who perished on the occasion of the wreck of the " Mexico." The register dates from the year 1873.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £390, with residence, in the gift of Lady Drummond, and held since 1900 by the Rev. Herbert Edward Butler, of Merton College, Oxford.
St. Thomas’s is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1902; the church, on Clifton drive south, completed in 1900, is an edifice in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, both with clerestory, aisles, vestry and north porch: the church will seat ahout 800. The register dates from the year 1900. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, in the gift of J. T. Clifton esq. and held since 1902 by the Rev. Charles Herbert Ellison M.A. L.Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham.
The Catholic church, dedicated to Our Lady Star of the Sea, an edifice of stone in the Early English style, wag erected in 1890, on a site of two acres given by the late Colonel Clifton, at a cost of £12,000, and consists of chancel, nave, north and south chantries, porch and a square open turret with one bell: there are 250 sittings.
The Wesleyan chapel, on Clifton drive south, opened 13 October, 1892, was built at a cost of £10,000, and is an edifice in the Decorated style, with transepts, and a lofty tower and spire, the base of the tower forming a porch: there are 490 sittings: in rear of the chapel is a schoolroom and a keeper's house. The Wesleyan chapel, in Church road, built in 1905, at a cost of about £8,000, is a stone building in the Gothic style, with tower, and has sittings for 750 persons. The Primitive Methodist chapel, in Clifton drive south, was erected in 1911, at a cost of nearly £6,000.
The Baptist chapel, in St. Andrew’s road south, built in 1910, in place of a former chapel, at a cost of over £6,000, has 600 sittings. The Congregational chapel, in Clifton drive north, was built during the period 1894-6, and is a large edifice in the Geometric Gothic style, with transepts, two spacious porches on the principal front, and a buttressed tower: in the chapel is a mural brass to the late W.J. Porritt esq. who is regarded as the founder of St, Anne's: there are 650 sittings. The Christian Brethren have a meeting room here.
The Carnegie Free Public Library, in Clifton drive south, was erected in 1904-5, at a coat of £3,500, and contains about 7,000 volumes. The St. Anne’s Public Hall, in St. George's road, erected in 1900, at a cost of £12,000, from the designs of Mr. J. D. Harker, is a large structure, with two principal fronts, in the modern Italian style: the interior is completely fitted for dramatic performances, and in the same building are the social, reading and billiard rooms of the St. Anne’s District Club: part of the ground floor is arranged and let as shops.
The Golf grounds of the Lytham and St. Anne’s Golf Club have extensive and well laid out links; the club house, at the entrance to the links, built at a cost of £10,000, and opened by the present Duke of Argyll P.C., K.G., K.T., G.C.M.G., G.C.V.0. in 1898, is an irregular structure of pleasing design in the half-timbered style. Another building, Known as "the Dormy House,” has also been erected for the convenience of golfing visitors. On the Old Links there is a club-house, erected in 1911, at a cost of over £8,000.
The St. Anne’s Tennis Club has its head quarters at St. George’s gardens, in St. George’s road; these gardens are well laid out and contain vineries and conservatoies. The St. Anne’s Institute. in St. George’s road, has reading and billiard rooms, and is open to visitors.
The Abraham Ormerod Convalescent Home for Children stands in Clifton drive north, a mile and a half north of St. Anne’s; it is available for 100 children, and 16 cripples, and is under the charge of Sisters attached to the Church. The Rochdale Children’s Convalescent Home is in St. Andrew's road south. The Manchester Children's Hospital Convalescent Home is in Clifton drive north, and adjoins the Ormerod Home. The Manchester and Salford Wood Street Mission holds a summer camp for slum children in Clifton drive north, facing the two Manchester Convalescent Homes.
The principal hotels are the St. Anne’s, near the railway station, and the Grand, South promenade. There are also the Imperial Hydro hotel and the Southdown Hydro. The local branch of the Lifeboat Institution provides a building at the south end of the Esplanade and near the beach for the reception of the lifeboat. The clubs include the Conservative Club, in Orchard road; the St. Anne’s District Club and the Institute, both in St. George’s road, and the St. Anne’s Liberal Club, in St. Andrew's road south.
There are branches here of the London City and Midland, Lancashire and Yorkshire, Manchester and County, and the Union Bank of Manchester, all in St. Anne’s road west. A new police station and offices have been built in St. Andrew's road north, John Talbot Clifton esq. J.P. of Lytham Hall, is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The area is 3,341 acres of land, 1 of water, 402 of tidal water and 4,633 of foreshore; rateable value, £95,555; the population in 1891 was 2,598; in 1901, 6,838, and in 1911, 9,837.
The population of the Urban District wards in 1911 was: East, 3,265; North, 1,582; South, 3,651; West, 1,339.
HEYHOUSES Is a small hamlet about 1.3 miles distant, in a purely agricultural district.
Wall Box cleared at 8.15 am. & 3 & 6.45 p.m.; sundays, 5.30 p.m
OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS. LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.
Post, M. O., T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office, Wood street (letters should have Lancs added).—W. Strafford, Postmaster, Deliveries commence 7 a.m. & 1.30, 2.15 & 5.30 p.m.; dispatched 10.5 am. & 12.30, 2.45, 3.45, 8 & 9.50 p.m. From June 1 to Sept. 30 the telegraph office is open until 9 p.m
Town Sub-Post & M. O. Offices :—
- Alexandria drive.—Miss Margaret Tavlor, sub-postmistress. Box cleared at 9.90 & 11.45 a.m. & 3, 7.30 & 9 p.m.; sundays, 9 a.m. & 5.30 p.m
- St. Alban’s road.—Josiah Riding, sub-postmaster. Box clearedat 9.25 a.m. & 12.30, 3.30, 7.25 & 8.30 p.m.: sundays, 6 p.m
- 102 St, Andrew's read south.—James Dawson Hodgson, sub-postmaster. Box cleared at 9 & 11.30 a.m. & 3.15, 7.30 & 9 p.m.; sundays, 9 a.m. & 5.15 p.m
- St. David’s road south.—William Ingham, sub-postmaster. Collections, 9.30 a.m. 12 noon & 3.30, 7.30 & 8.45 p.m.; sundays, 9 am. & 6.20 p.m
Public Telephone Call Office (Joseph Tommis, caretaker), 25 St Andrew’s road north
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Meets at the Public offices, Clifton drive south, the first monday in the month at 7 p.m.
Chairman, Thomas Ferguson.
Vice-Chairman, Samuel Hodgkingon J.P.
- East Ward. (Retire April)
- Levi Stauworth ..,...... 1913
- Edwin Cooper........... 1914
- John William Hallam .... 1915
- North Ward
- Thomas Ferguson ........ 1913
- John Hayes ........ 1914
- Henry Duckworth Rothwell 1915
- South Ward.
- George Richard Eyro ...... 1913
- Samuel Hodgkinson ...... 1914
- Richard Leigh ............ 1915
- West Ward.
- Frederick Henry Hill...... 1913
- Joe Harry Taylor ........ 1914
- James Hallam .......... 1915
- Clerk, Thomas Bradley, Council offices
- Accountant, Alfred Bradley Dawson, Council offices
- Treasurer, Thomas H. Halliwell, Manchester & County Bank
- Medical Officer of Health, Frederick Booth M.D., O.M. 4 Clifton drive south
- Surveyor, Henry Gregson, Council offices
- Nuisance Inspector, William Eastwood Procter, Council offices
- Collector, Harold John Carmont, Council offices
- Electrical Engineer, James Herbert Clothier, Electricity works, St. David's road north
Abraham Ormerod Convalescent Home, Clifton drive north, The Kilburn Sisters of the Church, matrons
Carnegle Free Public Library, Clifton drive south, Miss Bertha M. Barrow, librarian
Empire Picture Theatre, St. George’s read, Crowther & Spring, proprietors
Fire Brigade, St, Andrew's road north, Jn, E, Pennington, sup:
Manchester Children’s Hospital Convalescent Home, Clifton drive north, Miss Stevens, matron
Manchester Sunday School Union Holiday Home, 107 Clifton drive Sonth, Miss Mina Vallance, matron
Police Station, St. Andrew’s road north, William Lennie, sergeant, & 7 constables
Rochdale Children’s Convalescent Home, St. Andrew's road south, H. Ormerod, president; J. A. Barrowclough, treas. Thomas Elwyn Kershaw, sec.; John 0. G. Staley L.R.C.P.I. visiting surgeon; John Charles Lingford L.D.8.Eng. visiting: dental surgeon; George Greenwood, master
St. Anne’s Public Hall, St. George’s road, Adams & Co. propri
St. Anne's Institute, St. George’s road, John E Rigby, sec
St. Anne's Branch Royal National Lifeboat Institution, Thomas. Bradley, hon. sec.; Thomas Rimmer. coxswain
Lifeboat Disaster Fund, Thomas Bradley, sec
Shipwrecked Fishermen & Mariners’ Royal Benevolent Society hon. representative, T. Bradley, Urban District Council offices
Thursby Convalescent Home for Children, North drivo, Miss J. Turner, matron
Overseers of the Poor, James Hallam, George Richard Eyre &. John Whitestde
Superintendent Assistant Overseer, Harold John Carmont, 27 Lightburne avenue
Callector of Income Tax, Frank Hughes, 21 St. Anne’s rd. west
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services.
- St. Anne's Parish Church, Church road; Rev. Herbert Edward Butler, vicar: Rev. Alfred Ernest Howe M.A. & Rev. John Archibald B.A. curates; sun. services, 10.45 am. & 3.30 & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 10 a.m. & 6 pm
- St. Thomas’ Church, Clifton drive south, Rev. Charles Herbert Ellison M.A. vicar: Rev. Richard Heber Bowen, curate; sun. holy communion, 7 a.m. on 1st sun. 8 a.m. every sun. matins & holy communion, 1st & 3rd: matins & litany. 2nd & 4th; children’s service, 3 & evensong, 6.30 p.m.: week days, matins, 10 a.m.: evensong, 5.30 p.m.3 holy communion, 7.30 a.m. on holy days
- Mission Church, Orchard road, served by the clergy of the parish
- Catholic, Our Lady Star of the Sea, St. Anne’s road east, Rev. Michael Ryan, priest; 8 & 10.30 am. & 6.30 pm; daily 8 a.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m Baptist Chapel, St. Andrew’s road south, Rev. Peter B. Watson Cowie M.A.; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; tues. 7.30 p.m
- Congregational, Clifton drive north, Rev. George Stanley Russell M.A.; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m
- Primitive Methodist, Clifton drive south, Rev. George Bicheno; 10.45 a.m, & 6.30 p.m.; tues. 7.45 p.m
- Wesleyan Methodist. Lytham Circuit; Rev, William A. L. Taylor B.A. & Rev. Percy J, Boyling.
- Clifton drive south; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; tues. 7.30 p.m
- Church road, 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; thurs. 7.15 p.m
- Christian Brethren, Park road
King Edward VII. Endowed, Clifton drive south, opened in 1908, for 200 children; H. Bompas Smith M.A. head master
Technical, Clifton drive south, erected in 1907 by the County Council, at a cost of £3,000, & further extended in 1911, at a cost of £1,200.
- Commercial Classes, Preliminary Commercial Course & Commercial English, J. E. Fallowfield;
- Typewriting, Harold Greenwood; Bookkeeping, Edmund Lund;
- Shorthand, J. Bowman;
- English & Elocution, Miss E. Parkinson; French, J. H. Brovedam;
- German& Science, F. P. Schweikher.
- Scientific & Technical Classes—
- Building Construction, M. Rawsthorne;
- Mathematics, M. Banks;
- Joinery & Woodwork, J. Jackson;
- Ambulance (Men & Women), Dr. D. Staley.
- School of Art—Art Master, J. W. Clegg A.S.A.M.;
- Wood Carving Teacher, J. Jackson;
- Plumbing, R. Sanderson.
- Domestic Science Class—
- Millinery Dressmaking, Miss A. Clarke;
- Preliminary DomesticCourse & Domestic Economy, Miss A. Tebay;
- Needlework,Miss A. Emmins;
- Cookery (High Class & Plain), House-wifery & Home Nursing, Miss E. Pritt
The above named school is controlled by a committee of 12 members of the Urban District Council.
- Chairman, Councillor Richard Leigh
- Secretary, Thomas Bradley
- Assistant Secretary, Thomas C, Whalley
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.
Council, Sydney street (mixed & infants), erected in 1910, at a cost of about £4,000, for 310 children; average attendance, 280; John Ernest Fallowfield, master; Miss Lilian Longworth, infants’ mistress
Heyhouses Endowed (mixed & infants), erected in 1880, at a cost of £1,300, & enlarged in 1894 & again in 1909, for 486 children; average attendance, 450; George Sanderson, master; Miss Edith Simon, mistress; Miss Annie Tebay,
St. Thomas’, St. Thomas’ road (mixed & infants), erected in 1902 & enlarged in 1912, for 192 children; average attendance, 70; Miss Lilian D. Karstens, mistress
St. Anne’s Catholic (mixed), erected in 1895, for 150 children; average attendance, 144; managed by the Sisters of the Cross & Passion
St. Anne’s Express, 42 St. Anne’s road west, Spring Brothers, proprietors & publishers; published wednesday & friday
The Visitor, Park road, St. Anne’s Printing Co. Limited, proprietors & publishers; published tuesday
Railway Station. William Parr. station master