On this site stood Dick Kerr's flying boat factory.
In 1930, the western hanger was converted to become E Cookson and Sons Ltd’s brand-new Exhibition Bakery on Preston Road. They had been relocated to Lytham from Preston, where they had been formed in 1886.
The eastern hangar was demolished in 1932, to make way for an extension to the new bakery.
The company completely rebuilt all the hangers of the former flying boat factory and turned them into a state-of-the-art modern bakery complex.
Cookson’s was reopened in 1938, and in 1946, their famous yellow delivery vans were fitted with hand basins to ensure drivers had clean hands. The bakery was taken over by Allied Bakeries in 1954, after being bought by Sunblest.
Cookson’s Bakery closed in January 2001, and was demolished in August 2003, along with the adjacent former Sadler’s Engineering factory. The Lytham Quays housing estate was opened in July 2007 on the former bakery site.
If you have additional information or pictures that may usefully added to this page then please get in touch with us.