Clifton Square

Clifton Square

Clifton Square

Clifton Square is at the junction of Church Road, Park Street, Clifton Street, and Dicconson Terrace, at the easterly side of Market Square. The buildings on all sides have been re-built and changed their functions a number of times over the last two hundred years. The Square was pedestrianised in 1997.

At one time the terminus for the tram service was located in Clifton Street, at the main stop for today’s buses. Nowadays the taxi rank is by the Market Square away from the main thoroughfare, whereas when the horse-drawn carriages were waiting for custom, they did so on the Square, between Clifton Street and Henry Street.

Image
Clifton square
1902
Image
Clifton Square
c. 1900
Image
Clifton Square
Image
Gas tram
Image
Clifton Square
Image
Clifton Square
Image
Clifton Square
Image
Clifton Square
1966
Image
Clifton square
Image
Dicconson Terrace
1997
Image
Clifton Square
1997
Image
Clifton Square
1997
Image
Lytham Square
11 Jul 2002
Image
Clifton Square
18 Dec 2003