The origins of the school arise from the great flood of 1720 where the money donated to help the residents was chosen to be used to help educate the local children. This and along with some other funds was managed by what became the "Lytham Charities".
The first mention of a Lytham School is the report and description by the Revd. Timothy Pollard 1717 – 1741. “The school stands as well as possible in a dry and healthy situation about two stone casts from the sea shore and a stone’s cast from the agent’s house and about the same distance away from the Schoolmaster’s.” There is mention of a master at this school, James Silcock, who was appointed by the trustees of the ancient charities in 1729 to teach a free school. This school was thought to be have been built by a Richard Salthouse. Having spent some considerable time in establishing the site of this school the conclusion to be reached is that it stood on Church Road at the end of Beach Street.
In 1793 this building became unsuitable for its continuing use as a school and Sir Thomas Clifton had a new school built in what is now Lytham Hall Park. The site of the building is shown on the Clifton Survey of 1812 and was eventually used as an estate building. This school was used until pulled down by Mr. Thomas Clifton for being too near the hall. A new school was built on a site in Church Road, Lytham and in the Tithe Index is described as school and schoolmaster’s house. This school was demolished and a new school built on the site in 1853 to accommodate 250 children with a master’s house. The trustees of the charity made a grant of £500 towards the cost, the total cost was £1,027-18-7. John Talbot Clifton’s family freely conveyed the land to the trustees. Sadly this school closed in 1975 and was also demolished moving to Lytham Church of England Primary School on Park View Road joining with St. John's school.
The St. Cuthbert’s Court flat complex now occupies the site of the school. The master’s house was next to the school site and is now No. 24 Church Road.